Notes and Quotes...
Annual Reports are due: If you are the leader of any church group, please prepare either an oral or written report for presentation at the annual parish meeting. Please complete and submit these reports to Bill Smith by the end of services this Sunday.
Exciting Upcoming Programs
at the Valle Crucis Conference Center
Check out our great line-up of Fall programming. Join us in a beautiful setting for incredible opportunities for learning, fellowship, and personal growth. Registration is easy. Find our program registration form on our web site here.
Friday, September 25, 10:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
$40 (includes lunch)
"Be still and know that I am God." We all know and love that verse, but how often are we truly "still"? Join Rebecca for a day apart from routine and the daily grind - a time to rest, reflect, and rejuvenate as we are "still" long enough to listen for the voice of God. We will be introduced to various ways of being "still," as well as creative spirituality opportunities. Rebecca is an ordained Baptist minister and founder of Stacking Stones, an ecumenical ministry providing retreats and spiritual formation. She received a M.Div. from Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Advanced Intensive
Centering Prayer Retreat: Deepening the Silence
Sunday, Nov 29 - Sunday, Dec 6, 2015
$520 includes 7 nights lodging, meals, and program
Becky Hannah, Joan Ricci, the Rev. Robert Cook
This retreat is designed for those who would like a more prolonged experience of centering prayer and who are interested in entering into the more profound levels of spiritual practice in an atmosphere of silence, solitude, and community.
Centering prayer is a silent form of prayer that directs a person's attention toward God. It is a prayer form with ancient roots in the mystical and monastic tradition of the Christian faith. Centering Prayer periods are offered daily, as well as opportunities for contemplative worship, individual meetings with retreat leaders, hiking the Conference Center grounds, walking the labyrinth, and time for solitude and reflection.
Retreat leaders are Becky Hannah, co-coordinator of Contemplative Outreach of Western NC, and Joan Ricci Thome, presenter of contemplative prayer retreats at the Oratory and St. Francis Springs Prayer Center in Stoneville, NC. The Rev. Robert Cook, Vicar of Christ Church, Walnut Grove, NC is spiritual director for the week.
Due to the length of this retreat, each participant should have an established practice of Centering Prayer for at least a year. This retreat is limited to the first 20 registrants. Participants must stay on campus and plan to attend the entire retreat.
- Please pray for the election of a Bishop for our Diocese.
- Phone Tree: The phone tree is out of commission. The software will not run in Windows 10, and Bill's computer was upgraded to Windows 10 before that incompatibility was known. We have a volunteer to try to take over that ministry, one who is still using Windows 7, so hopefully it won't be out very long.
- Diocesan Survey: We encourage every member of the parish to take the survey available at http://www.surveymonkey.com./r/LandscapeDofWNC. The survey will be available until Sept. 9th. It asks questions regarding the characteristics you would like to see in our new bishop. If you do not have access to a computer, contact Diane Jackson, Bill Smith or Father Hanks for a paper copy.
- Annual Parish Meeting: September 13th. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all our members attend? The meeting will follow the 10:30 service and a covered dish meal. There will be no 8:15 service that day.
- Annual Reports: If you are the leader of any church group, please prepare either an oral or written report for presentation at the annual parish meeting. Please complete and submit these reports to Bill Smith by September 6th (Sunday coming).
- Christian Formation Starts Sunday, September 20th: Classes for children and adults at 9:30 AM.
- Bulletin Ministry: After almost four years, Maryann Presnell plans to "retire" from preparing the Sunday bulletin in September, 2015. The last bulletin will be September 13th unless someone takes up the call.
UPCOMING EVENTSWednesday, September 9 – Daughters of the King will meet in the Parish Hall at 6:00
Saturday, September 12 – ECW will meet at 10:30. Every woman in the parish is invited. We plan to have a guest speaker for the meeting.
Sunday, September 13 – Annual parish meeting following the 10:30 service.
Saturday, September 19 – Our trip to Dillard House in Dillard, GA. Plan to leave the Parish Hall at 1:00. For more information contact Dennie Boettcher of Tom Vernon.
Sunday, September 20 – is the beginning of Christian Formation classes for children and adults at 9:30 AM.
Tuesday, September 22 – will be the monthly meeting of the Book Club at 5:00 at the home of Dennie Boettcher. We will be reading "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. Please contact Dennie at 551-7139 if you are interested in attending,
Saturday, September 26 – from 8 -2 will be our Fall Rummage and Bake Sale. Please clean out your closets and start baking! Household items and furniture are the top sellers. If you need help getting furniture to the church talk to Mark and Keith Lunsford.
Wednesday of each week so they can be printed in the Bulletin.
If you would like to become a member of the Prayer Chain please talk to Diane Jackson.
This Week's Schedule:
|Sunday|| 8:15 AM
Choir Practice in the Church