Notes and Quotes...
We will receive the United Thank Offering this week, as well.If you have a box of coins, we would appreciate it if you would count them and change them into paper money for us. It will greatly reduce the counting staff's headaches. Many thanks for your help in this regard, as well as for your generosity in supporting the Diocese through the National Church. You can use the "All Saints Day Memorial Offering" envelopes (an effort to "go green" by using available resources) if you wish.
September was a very short month for our collections. There were a few interruptions to our normal schedule, as well as weather phenomena that kept our attendance low. In like wise, October was somewhat short. November has been fairly normal, but I suspect we will fall slightly short of our projected monthly budget again.
Please remember that it is your responsibility to keep your pledges up to date as well as you can. If you cannot, and if it looks as though your hardship will continue, please feel free to change your pledge so that we will know how to plan our spending. So far, I have only received one such change, but we also have to acknowledge those supporting members who have moved away. With the heating season already upon us, we will have the added expense of fuel oil to purchase.
Exciting Upcoming Programs
at the Valle Crucis Conference Center
Check out our great line-up of Fall programming. Join us in a beautiful setting for incredible opportunities for learning, fellowship, and personal growth. Registration is easy. Find our program registration form on our web site here.
Centering Prayer Retreat: Deepening the Silence
Sunday, Nov 29 - Sunday, Dec 6, 2015
$520 includes 7 nights lodging, meals, and program
Becky Hannah, Joan Ricci, the Rev. Robert Cook
This retreat is designed for those who would like a more prolonged experience of centering prayer and who are interested in entering into the more profound levels of spiritual practice in an atmosphere of silence, solitude, and community.
Centering prayer is a silent form of prayer that directs a person's attention toward God. It is a prayer form with ancient roots in the mystical and monastic tradition of the Christian faith. Centering Prayer periods are offered daily, as well as opportunities for contemplative worship, individual meetings with retreat leaders, hiking the Conference Center grounds, walking the labyrinth, and time for solitude and reflection.
Retreat leaders are Becky Hannah, co-coordinator of Contemplative Outreach of Western NC, and Joan Ricci Thome, presenter of contemplative prayer retreats at the Oratory and St. Francis Springs Prayer Center in Stoneville, NC. The Rev. Robert Cook, Vicar of Christ Church, Walnut Grove, NC is spiritual director for the week.
Due to the length of this retreat, each participant should have an established practice of Centering Prayer for at least a year. This retreat is limited to the first 20 registrants. Participants must stay on campus and plan to attend the entire retreat.
- Please pray for the election of a Bishop for our Diocese.
- Bible Study Group will be studying from the book, "Making Sense of the Bible" by Adam Hamilton.
- Advent Candels for Sale starting Sunday, November 22, along with information to help you and your family in your Advent devotions.
- Christmas Bazaar and Bake Sale, Saturday, December 12 from 8 am to 2 pm. Crafts, Christmas ornaments and decorations, and the usual delicious baked goods.
- Phone Tree: In the absence of the Phone Tree, Please check our website for important announcements.
- Bulletin Ministry: Diane Jackson has assumed the duties of an Annoucement Bulletin Production. That document will list the readings, as well as upcoming events. Thanks, Diane, for your willingness to serve. Hymns will continue to be posted on the left-hand board and on this website.
- Sunday, November 29 - Vestry Meeting at 11:45 in the Rector's Office.
- Saturday, December 5 - Fall Cleaning of the church, grounds and parish hall.
- Sunday, December 6 - Bishop Taylor Visitation. There will only be one service, at 10:30 AM.
- Sunday, December 13 - Advent Lessons and Carols at the 10:30 AM Service
- Thursday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Carol Sing, at 7:00 PM
- Thursday, December 24 - Christ Mass, at about 7:45
Wednesday of each week so they can be printed in the Bulletin.
If you would like to become a member of the Prayer Chain please talk to Diane Jackson.
This Week's Schedule: